If you own a Nespresso machine, you might want to mix things up and try different coffee capsules.
Or, you may want to move away from Nespresso completely and experiment with different coffee pod brands. What are the best Nespresso alternatives that taste great and don’t cost a lot of money?
The best Nespresso alternative for most people is Bestpresso. It’s more affordable than Nespresso pods and comes in a variety of coffee capsules. It provides 12 coffee blends that come in different intensities and flavors.
The only instances in which I wouldn’t recommend Bestpresso are if:
- You want bolder, stronger flavors. In this case, purchase Lavazza (link to Amazon).
- You want eco-friendly capsules. You should try Colonna instead.
- You want crema in your cup. Go with Illy coffee capsules.
In this article, I’ll take you through what you should consider when purchasing a Nespresso alternative coffee pod.
I’ll start by looking at why Bestpresso is considered one of the best Nespresso alternatives and feature other alternatives that might be better for you.
Best Nespresso alternative: Bestpresso
Bestpresso provides a range of coffee pods that burst with flavor, and they’re compatible with Nespresso and Keurig machines.
There are 12 coffee blends to enjoy that vary in flavor and intensity. These include the following:
- Ristretto. This high-intensity coffee pod will give you a much-needed caffeine kick in the morning.
- Espresso. This has a blend of chocolate and floral flavors, but you can choose different varieties.
- Arabica. This low-intensity pod is a light coffee with a sweet, citrusy burst of flavor.
- Rainforest Alliance certified. Bestpresso follows sustainable forestry practices during the cultivating, harvesting, and procurement of their products.
- Very similar to Nespresso. If you love Nespresso capsules, you’ll love that Bestpresso is almost the same.
- Competitive prices. Bestpresso capsules are more affordable than those offered by Nespresso.
- Natural ingredients. Bestpresso capsules don’t contain preservatives or added flavors.
- Not as strong. Some people state that Bestpresso pods aren’t as intense as other brands.
Try: Bestpresso Coffee for Nespresso Pods
These Bestpresso Coffee Pods are caffeinated Italian espresso coffee. They come in a variety pack containing:
This is a high-quality coffee pod variety pack that’s great for you if you want to try different coffee styles and give pods a try.
Peet’s Coffee offers two types of pods to meet your caffeine requirements, so it’s versatile depending on what type of coffee machine you have at home. These pods are:
- Espresso capsules. These are complex, delicious dark espresso coffee capsules that are compatible with your Nespresso Original coffee machine. They come in a variety of styles, such as decaffeinated and ristretto.
- K-cup pods. Peet’s Coffee also provides capsules that are compatible with Keurig machines. These come in a variety of exciting flavors, such as hazelnut mocha and vanilla cinnamon.
- Subscription service provided. If you want your favorite Peet’s Coffee pods delivered straight to your door, you should sign up for their subscription service.
- 100% Arabica coffee. The capsules that are compatible with Nespresso machines are made from Arabica coffee that’s smooth and delicious.
- Aluminum capsules. These capsules provide a bold flavor and creamy foam.
- Versatile. They work with a variety of coffee machines, such as CitiZ and Essenza Plus.
- Could be too strong. Some people have said that these coffee pods are too intense in flavor.
Try: Peet’s Coffee Dark Roast K-Cup Pods
One box of Peet’s coffee dark roast K-Cup pods gives you 32 pods. It’s a rich, dark roast that’s made with 100% Arabica coffee.
These pods can be used in all Keurig coffee makers. The coffee is full of flavor and doesn’t leave behind a bitter taste.
|Weight||1.37 lbs (0.6kg)|
Best for K-Pod lovers: Gourmesso
If you love your Nespresso machine and don’t want to get rid of it, you should purchase Gourmesso coffee pods.
This company provides Nespresso-compatible pods and K-pods, making it one of the best Nespresso alternatives.
The coffee pods that are compatible with Nespresso machines include the following:
- Espresso. You can choose from 12 espresso blends.
- Lungo. These are sourced globally and maintain Fairtrade practices.
- Flavored. Deliciously flavored capsules include Coconut Espresso and Hazelnut.
- Decaf. If you want great taste without caffeine, the Gourmesso decaffeinated pod is ideal.
- Compostable K-pods. You can buy fully compostable pods from the range, which are great for the environment. Unlike other coffee pods on the market, Gourmesso pods don’t contain any plastic or aluminum.
- Sugar and gluten-free. The flavored espresso capsules are free of both sugar and gluten.
- USDA-organic pods. You can choose from a variety of USDA-certified organic coffee pods.
- Bundles available. You can purchase bundles of Gourmesso pods, and some packs contain different blends you can try.
- Difficult for machines to puncture. Pods that are made entirely of plastic can be difficult for your coffee machine to puncture.
- Not many K-pod choices. Although the company offers K-pod capsules, there aren’t many.
Try: Gourmesso 50ct Flavored Espresso Pods
This variety pack includes the following five pod flavors:
These capsules are sourced sustainably and are up to 30% cheaper than Nespresso pods.
|Capsule material||Plastic and aluminum foil|
Best value for money: Lavazza
Lavazza offers a variety of coffee pods and K-pods that are made with high-quality coffee.
But one of the biggest reasons you might want to choose them instead of Nespresso pods is because there’s more coffee in the pods.
While there is 5g (0.17oz) of coffee in a Nespresso Espresso Pod, there is 7.5g (0.3oz) of coffee in a Lavazza pod.
Lavazza prioritizes quality, and this can be seen in its dark roast espresso offering.
Although it’s a strong blend, it doesn’t leave behind a bitter taste that’s common in many other dark roasts on the market.
Lavazza offers the following pods:
- Keurig K-cups. These come in different blends, such as espresso and decaf.
- Pods compatible with Nespresso original machines. These are blends such as decaf, lungo, and ristretto.
- Expert capsules. These capsules make it a breeze for anyone to brew delicious espresso. They are packaged to preserve freshness and maintain flavor.
- Blue capsules. These coffee capsules are compatible with the Lavazza Blue coffee machines.
- Espresso point capsules. These coffee capsules are compatible with Espresso Point machines.
- Lots of crema. Lavazza coffee pods make espresso coffee with thick crema.
- Blue capsules are intense. These capsules have a bold flavor, while Nespresso pods can be milder.
- Carbon-neutral aluminum. The coffee capsules have carbon-neutral aluminum.
- Limited use. The aluminum carbon-neutral pods are only compatible with Original Nespresso machines.
Try: Lavazza Variety Pack Single-Serve K-Cups
This variety pack of coffee pods contains a range of coffee blends, such as:
- Italiano medium roast coffee blend. It has delicious flavors of flowers and fruit.
- Gran Selezione. This is a dark roast blend with subtle hints of chocolate.
- Perfetto. This espresso roast blend has notes of caramel.
- Gran Aroma. This is a medium coffee roast with chocolate and citrus notes.
- Classico. This is a medium roast blend.
|Weight||1.5 lbs (0.7kg)|
Best for crema: Illy
Illy is renowned for its smooth coffee because it uses 100% Arabica beans. Its capsule line is called iperEspresso, which has the following flavors/blends:
- Decaffeinated. It is not just free of caffeine but also has some caramel flavor.
- Medium roast. This provides a balanced flavor with a blend of chocolate and caramel.
- Dark roast. This is great for you if you want a stronger coffee. It also has a cocoa flavor.
- Lungo. This coffee capsule is similar to the medium roast but provides you with more coffee.
Illy offers two other capsule lines. These are:
- Arabica Selection Origins of Taste. This features single-origin coffee blends, such as beans that come from Colombia and Brazil.
- Idillyum capsules. These coffee capsules come from coffee beans in El Salvador and have flavorful blends that contain flavors such as fruit and chocolate.
- Two-stage process. These capsules are made with a two-stage process that forms a rich crema on coffee. To find out more about the Illy vs. Nespresso debate, read my in-depth guide, “Illy vs. Nespresso Pods: Which Coffee Pod Tastes Better?”
- K-cups available. Illy provides K-cups for Keurig lovers.
- Made from recyclable plastic. These capsules are made from recyclable plastic, so they’ll fit into your sustainable lifestyle.
- Restricted to Illy machines. You can’t use all Illy pods in other coffee machines, so it’s limited.
Try: Illy iperEspresso Medium Roasted Coffee
These capsules are medium-roasted espresso capsules made from 100% Arabica coffee, producing smooth and rich coffee.
It’s a four-pack containing 21 coffee capsules that display nine of the best coffees from around the world.
|Weight||5 oz (0.3 lbs)|
If you’re not sure what type of coffee pod you like, trying Atlas Coffee Club’s coffee capsules is a good idea.
This is a coffee brand that varies from other coffees on the market because it offers customers a monthly coffee subscription service, so you can try out different coffees every month to see what you like.
When you subscribe to this service, you’ll receive the following:
- Single-origin coffee beans that come from locations all over the world, such as Ethiopia and Burundi.
- Postcards from the country of origin.
- Information about brewing tips so you make delicious coffee at home.
- Money-back guarantee. If your coffee isn’t tasting fresh, Atlas Coffee Club offers a money-back freshness guarantee.
- Recyclable K-cups. These capsules are compatible with Keurig coffee machines.
- Customized orders. You can customize your order by choosing how regularly you want it delivered and choosing your roast preference.
- Shipping payment is required. You have to pay for your coffee pods to be shipped.
Although you can sample Atlas Coffee from Amazon, you can’t purchase a variety pack of the company’s coffee pods. You can only purchase a subscription from the website.
Coffee pods in a blueberry flavor? If you’re eager to try a variety of coffee pods, you might want to check out Don Francisco’s coffee capsules.
These come in a variety of flavors, from hazelnut and blueberry to vanilla nut and double-French pods.
You can also choose from a variety of coffee roasts, such as medium and medium-dark roasts.
- Compatible with Nespresso. Don Francisco’s coffee pods can be used in Nespresso Original Line machines.
- Recyclable. The coffee pods can be recycled after use.
- 100% Arabica coffee. These coffee capsules contain 100% Arabica coffee, which tastes sweeter and is smoother than other beans.
- Different coffee origins. These capsules contain coffee from a variety of locations, such as South America and East Africa.
- Varied Nespresso compatibility. Not all the pods are compatible with Nespresso machines.
Try: Don Francisco’s Vanilla Nut Flavored Coffee Pods
This delicious vanilla and nut-flavored coffee is free of artificial flavors and made with 100% Arabica coffee.
It boasts a creamy and smooth texture and comes in a pack of 100 pods. The pods are compatible with K-cup Keurig machines, including the 2.0 model.
|Weight||2.09 lbs (0.95kg)|
When you first see the packaging of these coffee capsules, you’ll notice how sophisticated they look, and they have names to match, such as Tesfaye Bekele Anaerobic Lungo and Fazenda Recreio Lungo.
Inside, they’re filled with eco-friendly features. These coffee capsules come from a variety of locations around the world, such as:
- Fully recyclable. Some of the coffee pods are made out of aluminum, which is completely recyclable.
- Compostable range. Colonna features compostable capsules that come from American and African locations.
- Compatible with Nespresso. Colonna coffee capsules can work in all types of drop-down Nespresso machines.
- Not compatible with all Nespresso machines. These coffee capsules can’t work in built-in and commercial Nespresso coffee maker models.
Try: Atsabe Natural Espresso
Since it’s in an aluminum capsule, this coffee has a sweet, smooth texture. It’s one of the best pods to try if you want a burst of fruity sweetness.
It’s zesty and vibrant and works well in a variety of drinks, such as a cappuccino or latte.
Best affordable Nespresso alternative: L’OR
L’OR provides not only coffee machines but also delicious pods that are compatible with your L’OR Barista coffee maker, as well as some Nespresso machines.
This brand offers a variety of capsules, such as those for making ristretto and cappuccino coffees.
Some of the most delicious flavors that you can enjoy with L’OR capsules include the following:
- Espresso caramel
- Espresso vanilla
- Espresso chocolate
- Espresso decaffeinated
- Airtight aluminum construction. This ensures that the flavor and aroma of the coffee capsules are preserved.
- Recyclable pods. The coffee pod aluminum can be recycled.
- Affordable. These pods are more affordable than Nespresso pods.
- Online-only pods. Some of the L’OR pods are only available online via the company’s website.
- Difficult to puncture. Some coffee machines struggle to puncture these coffee pods.
Try: L’OR Espresso Capsules
This 50-pack of espresso capsules has a variety of blends, from medium to dark roasts.
The capsules are made of aluminum and can be recycled. This material also preserves the freshness of the Robusta and Arabica beans.
|Roast level||Medium to dark|
|Weight||1.04 lbs (0.47kg)|
Best organic coffee pods: Meseta
If you love sustainable, organic coffee, Meseta coffee pods are a good choice.
These pods are Easy-Serving Espresso pods that contain seven grams (0.25oz) of ground coffee in every container, which is held between two thin layers of filter paper.
The pods come in three main varieties:
- Classico. This espresso capsule contains Robusta coffee from various locations.
- Forte. This coffee blend is a combination of Arabica and Robusta beans.
- Decaffeinated. You can enjoy caffeine-free coffee by choosing this pod.
- Aluminum pod range. One pod range offers pods that are made with aluminum, so they’re planet-friendly.
- Nespresso capsule machine compatible. This pod range contains plastic pods that are compatible with Nespresso capsule makers.
- Compostable pods. Meseta offers a compostable range that can be put in your organic waste collection.
- Compatible with other brands. You can find Meseta pods that are compatible with other coffee makers, such as Lavazza Blue and Caffitaly Standard.
- Limited availability on Amazon. Although you can find other coffee capsule brands on sites such as Amazon, only one organic product from Meseta is available.
Try: Nespresso Compatible Meseta Coffee Capsules
This 100-pack of Meseta capsules is compatible with a range of machines as long as they can accommodate Nespresso Original capsules.
This coffee is an Arabica blend that’s Fairtrade-certified. It’s got a delicious espresso flavor.
|Weight||1.85 lbs (0.84kg)|
This is another quality coffee brand that offers pods made from plant-based compostable materials, so your coffee is good for the planet.
Known as OneCUP pods, these come in a variety of roasts and flavors to meet your coffee requirements.
Whether you love French roast coffee or coffee with a burst of French vanilla flavor, you will find what you need.
Best of all, San Francisco Bay Coffee is a great choice if you love Donut Shop coffee pods.
- Nespresso-compatible. There’s a range of coffee capsules that are compatible with Nespresso machines and come in K-cups.
- Lids are made of paper. The paper lids make the entire pod recyclable.
- Donut shop coffee pods are light. These pods are a blend of Arabica beans that originate in Central America and Africa, producing a light, bright, medium-bodied roast.
- Not always compatible with Keurig machines. These pods don’t always work well in Keurig coffee machines.
Try: San Francisco Bay Coffee OneCUP
This coffee pod variety is compatible with K-cup single-serve brewers.
It’s made with 100% Arabica coffee, and the beans are Kosher-certified. In this pack, you’ll get the following blends:
- Breakfast blend (medium roast)
- Fog chaser (medium dark roast)
- Organic rainforest blend (medium dark roast)
- French roast (dark roast)
|Weight||0.47 oz (13.3g)|
|Capsule material||Plastic (around the rim)|
Factors to consider
When choosing from these best Nespresso alternatives, there are some important factors to consider to ensure you get a delicious, easy-to-use coffee pod:
- Arabica vs. Robusta beans
- Machine compatibility
- Exciting flavor
Arabica vs. Robusta beans
One of the biggest things to consider when choosing the best coffee pod is to choose between Arabica or Robusta beans.
Arabica beans are generally tastier than Robusta. I’ve featured some of the best coffee pods that contain 100% Arabica coffee, such as Peet’s Coffee.
This provides smooth, rich-tasting coffee.
That said, Robusta coffee blends are also good to try, especially if you want to enjoy coffee that is less sweet in flavor.
You can also find coffee pods that contain the best of both Arabica and Robusta coffee.
A good choice is Meseta, which blends Arabica and Robusta coffee to produce a delicious result.
Your lifestyle should be as sustainable and eco-friendly as possible, including your coffee pods. Single-use coffee pods can be bad for the environment when they contain plastic.
This is because many pods don’t get recycled, which puts toxins into our water, soil, and air.
Aluminum coffee pods are better for the environment as they can be recycled, but compostable pods are even better.
An example is San Francisco Bay Coffee pods made of plant-based materials that can be composted.
When choosing coffee pods, you’ll naturally want to ensure that they work in your current coffee maker.
If you’ve been using a Nespresso coffee machine, you might want to try other brands of pods that can work in it.
This is why it’s important to research what machines the pods can take and properly puncture.
- If you love K-Pods, for example, Gourmesso pods are ideal because they will work in Keurig machines.
- If you have a Nespresso Original machine, you can use pod brands such as Lavazza.
This is a matter of preference. You might want to choose a coffee brand that offers a variety of delicious, creative pods.
If this sounds good to you because it shakes up your coffee-drinking ritual, coffee brands such as Don Francesco’s Coffee are a good choice.
They provide a range of unique coffee pod flavors that will take your coffee habit up a notch.
However, if you’re worried about your sugar intake, you should consider pods that don’t have sugar added to them.
The best sugar-free option is Gourmesso, so you can enjoy delicious coffee flavors without the guilt of consuming a lot of sugar.
If you’re looking for an alternative to Nespresso coffee pods, you have many alternatives at your disposal, and many of them will work in your Nespresso coffee machine.
But make sure that it’s more affordable than Nespresso.
Gourmesso pods are cheaper than Nespresso pods. Nespresso capsules can cost around $0.70, whereas Gourmesso capsules can cost up to $0.55, so you save a lot of money per pod.
However, a subscription service that delivers your favorite pods to your door can also help you save money.
One of the best is Atlas Coffee, which delivers beans from all around the world. There are different subscription plans:
- 72 cups for $49 per month. This works out to $0.34 per cup.
- 48 cups for $19.5 per month. This is $0.40 per cup.
- 24 cups for $14.5 per month. This is $0.60 per cup.
If you want to try a new coffee pod, you should move away from Nespresso and try some delicious alternatives.
The best alternative to start with is Bestpresso. These pods are very similar to Nespresso pods when it comes to their taste while also being a bit more affordable.
Check out Bestpresso on Amazon now: